Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Putting God the Father in His Place

I have been thinking about God.  Specifically, I have been thinking about the existence and importance of God.  I suppose I should start at the beginning.  The beginning being a very simple question: Do I believe in God?

The answer is yes.  Sort of.

Which leads to another, not-so-simple but obvious question: Why "sort of"?

Like I said--not so simple.  But I'll try.  I do believe in God the Father.  I think he exists.  And I have a pretty Mormon understanding of what he's like.  He has a body of flesh and bone.  He is distinct from Jesus, God the Mother, and the Holy Ghost.  He loves me and everyone else on earth, past, present, and future.  He's omnipotent, omniscient, aware of everything that happens on earth, yada yada yada.

But the thing is, I just don't care.  I think God's existence is supremely beside the point.  Because in my mind, the point is to live a good life.  To love other people.  To make the world a better place.  To be compassionate, kind, honest, and every other good thing there is.  To strive towards building zion here and now, in this moment, no matter how impossible that may seem.  And God is too often a distraction.

Now that's not to say that I think God is by definition a distraction from those good objectives.  I think many, many people are inspired by their belief in God to be better, more compassionate, more loving people.  However, I think that a belief in, or a focus on a belief in, God is just as likely to fix people's attention on their reward hereafter and distract them from what's important in this life; or, worse, to leave them judgmental of others and therefore unable to reach out in love to all of their brothers and sisters.

So there you have it.  I think God is kind of beside the point.  Which leaves me wondering where my place is in a church which emphasizes the literal existence of God and human beings' ability to become like God.  I find some refuge in some of Mormonism's teachings about God.  That he once was as we now are and that we may become as he now is, for instance.  There's something radically equal between God and human when that is the case, just as there is something radically equal in a true parent-child relationship.  There may be a period of time in which the parent is the adult and responsible for the child, but that relationship changes and opens up to even greater joy when parent and child know each other as adults, as equals.

This idea--that divinity lies within each and every woman and man and child--leads me to my most cherished belief about God: that he is accessible only through ourselves and others.  We can only know God when we truly and deeply know and understand our own divine potentional; when we reach out and accept the divine in every other we encounter, regardless of how different or frightening they may appear.

So when I say God is beside the point, that the point really should be loving others, I suppose I'm in a sense placing God right back in the center.  Because to know and love oneself, and to know and love others, is to know and love God.

7 comments:

  1. I think this is an interesting post, that articulates ideas that are only half-formed for me. Because I agree that the point of this life is to be a good person and make this life, right here, better for me and everyone else, I think focusing too much on eternal reward, or esoteric doctrines can often be a distraction. Not to say I haven't been guilty of that, though.

    I find comfort that when Jesus said the first commandment is to love God, he said that the second commandment is "like unto it." Lately I've been experimenting with living the first commanment through living the second, using that "like unto it" to mean that if we love our neighbors here and now, we won't stray from loving God. The parable of the Good Samaritan is all we need to understand to know what it means to love and worship God.

    I also have a lot of thoughts and impressions about divinity residing in us, and our mission to uncover that divinity in us. That God is not other, but same. It's complicated and cooky (really, it is), so I won't burden you with that here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisa-- I like complicated and cooky. :) So please, if you'd like to, feel free to "burden" me with your ideas on divinity residing in us. It's an idea that fascinates me and which I think holds a lot of truth. I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

    And thanks for your comment. I, too, place a lot of meaning in that phrase "like unto it" where the first two commandments are concerned. You put it beautifully when you say "if we love our neighbors here and now, we won't stray from loving God." I suppose part of the difficulty is figuring out what it means to love our neighbors...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday I spoke with a friend about a similar idea.
    We were talking about reconciling mercy and justice and how for some people it's just impossible.

    I related a bumper sticker I had seen from an atheist's car, "Just be Good for Goodness Sake!"

    It gave me a new approach to why we should be good, not because we don't want be guilty or damned, but because it is just the moral thing to do and morality, like divinity, is in all of us.

    Thanks for this insightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sentiment definitely rings true with me, Jessica. I know that for some people, believing in God helps them be good. But it just seems so clear to me that we should be good not because of some anticipated cosmic reward or fear of divine retribution, but because it is good to be good.

    Of course, I understand needing to feel validated. I often need to know that others are impressed by or proud of my work. Maybe that's the dynamic at work in believing in God. Need to chew on that for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, fortuitous, I've been planning on writting a post along a very similar theme! (God's been on my mind a lot as well)

    and I just may have to write that post rather than go on and on filling your comment slot here...

    but yes. exactly.

    I'll think on this some more than make a better comment, promise. just wanted to say thanks for writing this out and sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you wanderer. this is actually really good for me to read as I near the brink of atheism in my life. i like how you remind us to focus on living a good life, because of all the things in the world I have no control over, I DO have control over that.

    ReplyDelete