Saturday, October 31, 2009

Defense Mechanism?

The other day I read Hazel Mote's blog.  And then I read my own.  And it has me thinking.

I write analytically.  Hazel writes personally.  I write in the abstract.  Hazel makes connections with others. I don't like it, this difference.  I don't like that I write in the abstract as if I have achieved some distance between myself and the church.  I don't like that I seem not to connect with others through what I write.  The funny thing?  I'm doing it again, even as I say I don't like that I do it.

I've been thinking about this tendency of mine--the tendency to intellectualize, to abstract, to step back away from what troubles me.  Trying to understand it.  I don't understand it yet, but I'm sure it has something to do with my history of trouble with the church.  I think it's some sort of defense mechanism.  But against what?  And how does it work?

From where I sit, this "defense" mechanism seems much more harmful than helpful.  It makes me feel removed from the very people I want to be connected to.  And I'm not sure how to get beyond that.  My instinct tells me it's about vulnerability and openness.  That I need to be more open about my hurts and my fears and my anger; that I need to not just rant about them, but to just lay them out for others to see and feel.  But I don't know if I have the strength to do it.  Even anonymously.

2 comments:

  1. I say write in whatever way feels best. And if you are feeling inhibited, just give it some time. But I don't read your posts as overly-analytical or distanced. I read them as thoughtful AND personal. Here I am acting like I know what I'm talking about. I haven't written a post in almost a month. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, hazel. :) i'm glad i don't come across as distant to others, even if it feels that way a bit to myself.

    ReplyDelete